Monday 12 November 2018

My oppinion on Grand Theft Auto being on the PlayStation Classic and why Id prefer to have parisite eve like the Japanese.


So once again I am going to take a title that has been announced for the PlayStation Classic and seem if it deserves its place on the unit or not, and if it doesn't then what should be put in its place.

OK so I can definitely see why they have put the original Grand Theft Auto on to the PlayStation Classic, after all the 5th entry in the series has literally been a license to print money and has thrust the series in to a position where it is essentially one of the highest earning media products ever. The thing is the GTA brand is now so huge that I can totally see why they want to have it on the system but in reality for me at least GTA is not a PlayStation game, yes yes I know it came out on the PlayStation and that therefore it can be argued makes it a PlayStation game but it doesn't make me think PlayStation in the way that a title like Ridge Racer does. The game is a fun game and I certainly think that lots of people will have fun with it if they pick up the unit but in my opinion when the unit is limited to 20 titles this title is kind of filling a slot which I think something else could better fill.

For an example of a title which I think would fill the slot better I will turn to the Japanese PlayStation Classic list and pick out Parasite Eve and argue that despite the game probably having less name recognition over here that I think it would in fact be a better fit. OK for those who don't know about Parasite Eve it was a game which came out in 1998 it was an action role-playing video game which was developed and published by Square. Strangely it was actually a sequel to a novel which probably helps explain why in my opinion it has a pretty great story. Parasite Eve was to the best of my knowledge actually SquareSoft's first M-rated game,as well as being the first major American and Japanese game development collaboration for the company. So when you think about all of this it actually makes it a pretty darn interesting game historically and Square was very much one of the most important 3rd party companies for the original PlayStation so I don't think it can really be over represented. The story has you following a police officer who is attempting to stop a woman who plans to destroy the whole human race, you explore levels set in New York while using a real-time combat system and several role playing game elements, it game out to a lot of praise. I wouldn't say the game is greatly re-playable once you have finished it, but i certainly think most people would get more fun and time out of going through this once than just occasionally messing around on GTA, after all I have never managed to get the urge to complete either of the first grand Theft Auto's as far as I can remember all I have gotten out of them is 30 or 40 minutes of randomly blowing stuff up and then fighting the police etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tales from the Crypt DEAD EASY aka Fat Tuesday the lost film

Ages and Ages ago I made blog posts about Tales from the Crypt Presents Fat Tuesday AKA Dead Easy and a few years ago I turned these into a...