Friday 2 October 2015

My Halloween plans

So its October, a month I am very fond of mostly because Halloween is my favourite holiday, if it was up to me it would be treated as a proper holiday with time off and gifts but unfortunately not everyone is as keen on it as I am. In past years I have tried to watch a horror movie a day or celebrate it in some other magnificent fashion like reading nothing but Stephen King stories all month long. This year I don't really have anything planned. I will probably watch some horror films throughout the month, watch some episodes of things like Tales from the Crypt and Monsters, I will certainly keep track of the Angry Video Game Nerd James Rolf's Cinemasacre Monster Madness.

I would usually watch all of the Nightmare on elm street films one after another but I strangely decided to watch them all on blue ray like this, two a night for the first time recently. In fact it was really strange as the night after I finished watching Wes Craven's new nightmare I woke up to the news he had passed (very sad news to wake up to). So I probably wont be watching those again so soon. I do have al of the original Halloween's on dvd but I did all of those the year before, I also watched all of the Friday the 13th's the last time I noticed an actual Friday the 13th was approaching. In the past I have listened to the Original Radio Broadcast of The War of the Worlds from the 30th of October 1938, which was directed and narrated by Orson Welles, (adapted from H. G. Wells' novel The War of the Worlds). I listend to it in a candle lit room and tried to take in how awesome it must have been when originally played over the radio. It became famous for allegedly causing mass panic, although this has been disputed as apparently it actually had relatively few listeners. I have watched the old British reality–horror/mockumentary television movie Ghost Watch several years. It was first broadcast on BBC1 on the 31st of October 1992 and I was watching it then with my older brother when I was only 11 years old. For anyone who hasnt seen it imagine a one off version of Most Haunted done with Parkinson, Craig Charles, Sarah Green and others which at least latter on was admitted to be completely fake. Even with the fact that you will now know it is not real I would strongly recommend you track down a copy and watch it, the BBC seem to not like to admit it exists probably because it caused panics of its own, including incidences of reported self harm in relation to it and other issues including a service man's wife contacting the BBC to inform them that they owed her for dry cleaning as her husband had shit his pants. It is a real shame the BBC have never done anything like this again as they pulled it off really well, it might not have had the biggest budget but it had some very clever ideas in it and is a lot better than many horror films made on a similar or even much higher budget.

I might just end up looking for as many unheard of or less talked about films as possible, maybe with a mix of things I can watch with my Fiancée without scaring her half to death. What I do around actual Halloween itself depends on the rota I get at work, I might check out if any of the local Cinema's are showing anything special either something new I am not yet aware of or an old classic which I would have been to young to see on the big screen at the time. I would love to see the original black and white Night of the Living Dead on the big screen but I have never found anywhere showing it (If I could ever get my hands on a old one screen cinema like if I won the lottery or something then the first thing I would do would be to show it). So I guess my big plan is I have no big plan, hey but I started off the month by trying to convince everyone to watch Hollow Man which is a horror film so I started out on the right foot I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tales from the Crypt DEAD EASY aka Fat Tuesday the lost film

Ages and Ages ago I made blog posts about Tales from the Crypt Presents Fat Tuesday AKA Dead Easy and a few years ago I turned these into a...