Saturday 19 November 2016

Ash Versus the Evil Dead season 2 spoiler free review



 So on this very blog I tried to review the first series of Ash Versus Evil Dead when it came out on an episode by episode basis but I ended up getting to around the 6th or 7th episode and then other things got in the way, plus I have to admit its just hard to write a review of each and every episode as it is put out. One of the issues is that if someone is into the show then they are going to watch the episodes before you've had enough time to do a review, heck they are probably going to watch it when you do or if they are in another country they might even see it earlier than you depending when it is transmitted. This is one of the reasons I did a review of the whole first series of Bates Motel, I was late in finding Bates Motel so by the time I had seen the first season you could already buy the first 3 seasons so it seemed a little silly to give it a episode by episode review. I was more trying to attract the attention of people who had not seen the show before, those who either didn't know it existed or who hadn't decided if they should give it a shot or not. I probably wont review any more of Bates Motel because well I think it carries on much the same as it starts , series 2 and 3 feel exactly like series 1 so if you enjoyed that with all its twists and turns then you will most likely enjoy them, I guess my 1 line review of series 2 and 3 of Bates Motel would be, if you like the first series then you will like these as well and I recommend them as they are very similar and maintain the same level of quality.

To cut things short I found the first season of Ash Versus Evil Dead to be an awesome show, it more than met all of my expectations. It was a continuation of the Evil Dead story, of Ash's story which seemed to fit well with what had gone before it, it had the kind of gore worthy of the original Evil Dead matched up with the kind of humour seen in Evil Dead 2 and Army Of Darkness (Evil Dead 3). I will try to spoil as little as possible but Season 2 continues the story of Ash while showing you a lot of things from his past, you get to see the town he grew up in, to see what people think of him after the events of the films, you meet his Dad which without giving to much away shows you were Ash gets a lot of his shall we say characteristics from. Much like with the first season though it is more than just an Ash fest, you get to see a lot more of Kelly and Pablo and learn how they are adapting to life as heroes who fight against the Evil Dead. You also get to see what is happening with Ruby. If you enjoyed the humour of the first season then its still here, Ash is just as awesome as ever just as chauvinistic, just as politically incorrect, and just as cocksure and also as dumb as usual and to me that is great, Ash works best when viewed in this way. The whole point of the Evil Dead is that the only thing between death and destruction, between the Deadites killing everyone and ruining the world is this stupid one line spouting moron who runs in shotgun blazing chainsaw revving brain none operational and yet through pig headed stubbornness seems to win the day. No matter how dumb he is at times you just cant help but love the guy and most of that is down to Bruce Campbell the guy is simply a great actor who throws himself into the roles he plays with everything he has, I could easily write a whole article on how it is a sign of the craziness of Hollywood and the film industry that this man is not held in much higher regard. Ray Santiago and Dana DeLorenzo are also in my opinion just getting better and better and the show does a good job of keeping this show very much a team effort, it honestly looks like it must be a whole heap load of fun to be a part of this show.

It also needs to be said that if you watched the first season and you liked the gore then it certainly hasn't been lowered any, if anything I would argue that in some cases the gore has been ramped up to 11. I could easily write a list of amazing effects or key points where I loved how something in particular was done, but I really don't want to spoil any moment of this show for someone who has not seen it yet. In short I need to strongly recommend this season to anyone who saw the first season and enjoyed it. If you haven't seen the first season then I recommend you start there and then watch this season after. I know that this show wont appeal to everyone but if you like both Horror and Dark Humour then this show is right up your street. If you enjoyed the likes of the Walking Dead but woulndt mind seeing some funny one liners and comedy 3 stooges type moments thrown in with your death and destruction then this will be right up your street.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tales from the Crypt DEAD EASY aka Fat Tuesday the lost film

Ages and Ages ago I made blog posts about Tales from the Crypt Presents Fat Tuesday AKA Dead Easy and a few years ago I turned these into a...