Saturday 26 January 2019

Why You should read Go Set a Watcman



So over the last week I have read the book Go Set a Watchman which for those who dont know is a novel written by Harper Lee which was published in 2015. Harper Lee's first book To Kill a Mocking Bird is considerd an american classic and is something which has been taught for its literary merits in various countries over the years, not only was it conciderd a stone cold classic it was also turned in to a very well considerd movie. With to Kill a Mocking Birds central character Atticus Finch sort of going on to be considerd as a role model with almost perfect morals in an in perfect world.


Go Set a Watchman was initially promoted and sold by its publisher as a sequel To Kill a Mocking Bird but it is now more widely accepted as being a sort of first draft of the famous novel. There was some degree of outcry after people had read the book as it basically showed you diffrent characters from the original book in a diffrent light, I however think that this book works as a perfect sequel and I would strongly recomend that people read it, in fact I would go on to strongly recomend that certain people read it in particular and read it now.

At first I didnt get why the book had the title that it has, sure it sort of has the same sort of words and rhythem to it when said aloud as To Kill a Mocking Bird but the reason it has its title is that the title is taken from the bible Isaiah 21:6: "For thus hath the Lord said unto me, Go, set a watchman, let him declare what he seeth.". OK I will be heading into slight spoiler territory from here so if you just want my oppinion on the book then it is an absolute master piece go and read it. For those of you who dont mind a sprinkle of spoileridge and want to know a little more read on. Well you know how I said that Atticus Finch was a sort of morally perfect man? Well this is the view his daughter Jean Louise Finch AKA Scout has of him as well both in To Kill a Mocking Bird and initially in this book, he is the ''Watchman'' in the town of Maycomb, watching over all that happens and trying to keep jusitce and truth on top.

This book is for me at least about what happens when you realise that somone you looked up to, someone who you saw as a moral beacon does or says something which seriously makes you question your view of them. In this particular instance it deals with a young adult woman who learns that her Father does not quiet stand up to the high moral pedastool that she has placed him on. She learns that there are things she does not agree with him on, and things she thinks she knows better about than he does. I think the book serves as a moral lesson that at some point you need to stand on your own two feet, and think for yourself even if this means you have to disagree with people you love and look up to, you cant be a real adult until you step out stand in the sun and say this is what I think and this is whar I believe to be true instead of always looking to somone else you consider more intelgent or more moral to lead the way for you. You need to learn to voice your own oppinions but do it in a respectable way. For me this book was a well written story which held an even deeper lesson and I think it should be read by anyone who is trying to become a fully fledged indivudal. If I worked for a college or universtiy in an English department id slap this book on a sylabus so fast because I think its something young people need to read, because even at my age I know its had an effect on me and I can only dream the effect this would have had if I had read it during a crucial turning point in my younger days, real literature should do more than tell a story it should move you right in the core of you heart and soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tales from the Crypt DEAD EASY aka Fat Tuesday the lost film

Ages and Ages ago I made blog posts about Tales from the Crypt Presents Fat Tuesday AKA Dead Easy and a few years ago I turned these into a...