Friday 5 January 2018

PAPRIUM the hopefully upcoming New MegaDrive/Genesis walk along beat em up.



OK so I am seriously late to the party on this one but I want to talk about Paprium a game being made by Watermelon Games for the MegaDrive, yep that's right I said being made and not made, this is a bonerfied new game that's going to be coming to the Megadrive. This is not the first MegaDrive game made by Watermelon, they made an RPG called Pier Solar. I say I am late in talking about this as the game has been in development for 4 years, in fact it sounds like its pretty darn close to being finished, in fact Paprium was supposed to be out and available to buy with a Fall of 2017 release window with preorders being taken unfortunately things haven't gone as smooth as they might have and WaterMelon has announced the game will be pushed to an early 2018 release. Apparently the developer has had problems with PayPal locking their account for suspected suspicious activity. Apparently they received such an unprecedented large amount of orders that Paypal decided that this was suspicious for a Mega Drive/SEGA Genesis game to be raising this kind of money. This is a shame and I hope its a situation soon rectified but I wanted to mention it before talking about the game as I don't want anyone thinking they can just run and get this right now. It is interesting to note that a MegaDrive project could raise enough for this situation to come about though I guess it says something about the love the machine and this kind of game has out there.

PAPRIUM (code-name: "ProjectY"), is a post apocalyptic street brawler, what I would usually call a walk along beat em up so yeah Streets of Rage, Final Fight sort of thing.This is one of the things that makes this project really interesting to me, that's one of the reasons I wanted to talk about it. You see a lot of youth was spent playing these kinds of games either on the MegaDrive the SNES or in the Arcades and once they were pretty much one of the very most popular types of game so for me this game looks like a real blast from the past.

So as for the story it is the Year 8A2 whatever that means (basically post apocalyptic future time) somewhere between Shanghai, Tokyo and Pyongyang, a Megapolis rose from ashes of the shortest but most devastating nuclear war in history, its name is PAPRIUM. Basically the idea of the game is that you choose one of 5 playable characters and fight your way through the city, so OK yeah its not exactly the work of Shakespeare but when did you need anything all that deep as an excuse to punch an army of thugs in the face.

The game is being advertised as being 80-MEG, with 24 Levels and 5 Playable Characters, running at an Uncompromized 60fps with high quality music. The graphics look very tasty, they are very Streets of Rage 2esque, they have large detailed colourful sprites. Not everything can be worked out from just looking at screen shots and trailers though, obviously I don't know how it controls how many moves there are or how it feels but I have to say that I am pretty darn impressed with what I have seen so far. In all honesty any worries I have are not for the product itself they are for the creators and customers. All of the worries I have are related to the projects paypal account being frozen and how this will be dealt with, if everyone who wants a copy of the game will be able to get there hands on it and the issue of piracy. As an Everdrive owner I know how impressive these devices can be and whats to stop someone dumping the game onto the net and then everyone playing it for free on an emulator or through an everdrive? You might say so what, but I have a very good answer to this and that is if the team doesn't make a healthy profit from the games they do then well basically they will stop making them and that would be an awful thing.

Well I guess this is all I have to say on this at the moment but hopefully this is a subject I will be able to return to in the future.I wish the developers all of the good will in the world and hope that not only this project gets out there and makes a profit but so do all of there future endeavours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tales from the Crypt DEAD EASY aka Fat Tuesday the lost film

Ages and Ages ago I made blog posts about Tales from the Crypt Presents Fat Tuesday AKA Dead Easy and a few years ago I turned these into a...