Sunday 29 October 2017

How From Dusk Till Dawn was nearly Tales from the Crypt presents: From Dusk Till Dawn

OK so I have previously talked about both Tales from the Crypt films and Tales from the Crypt films that were planned to at least some degree but never came to be. This kind of leaves me with a Third type of Tales from the Crypt film to talk about and thats films which ended up being made which were at one point going to be Tales from the Crypt movies but for one reason or another by the time they were released they had lost the connection. One of these films I want to talk about is Dusk Till Dawn.

The story is that From Dusk Till Dawn was originally planned as the follow-up to Tales From The Crypt Presents: Demon Knight, but due to disagreements with the producers, Tarantino and Rodriguez took the film elsewhere. I think it is intresting to know that From Dusk Till Dawn was nearly a Tales from the Crypt film, and its also intresting to think about how things could have been diffrent.


Ok so if you havent seen From Dusk Till Dawn my first question for you is why not? I am not reviewing it here but its a bloody fantastic film and if you havent seen it yet then you should rectify that right away. If you havent seen it though I am going to essentially spoil it so you might not want to finish reading this post. Dusk Till Dawn has that kind of Tales from the Crypt quality in that it has Vampires and horror but also mixes this with a certain amount of humour and whackyness. There are a few things about it that are very unlike Tales from the Crypt for me. Tales from the crypt has monsters and even criminals like bank robbers but it has this sort of sense of morality to it, a sort of twisted morality at times but morality all of the same, this is not something I feel can be said about Dusk Till Dawn. The person who I would call the main hero of Dusk Till Dawn is a  wanted criminal a criminal who is not affraid to kill people, to take people hostage, sure he kills Vampires but he is only really doing it to survive, at the end of the film he not only walks away free he walks away with money and heads towards a new life in Mexico.






Like I have already said I think that Dusk Till Dawn certainly feels like it could exist within the Tales from The Crypt Universe but I think its proberbly a good thing that it didnt end up being a Tales film, both Bordello of blood and Dusk Till Dawn came out in 1996 and I enjoyed both of them. With the two films being vampire based I think if Dusk had been a Tales of film then it would have simply killed Bordello, they are too simmilar to exist togther under the same brand name. I also think that both Tarantino and Rodriquez do there best work when they are messed with as little as possible, in fact I would say that most films come out there best when someone can get as much of there original vision up on the screen as they can and if there had already been a disagreement with the producers in the early stages it proberbly would have only gotten worse. So I think things proberbly worked out for the best all round.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tales from the Crypt DEAD EASY aka Fat Tuesday the lost film

Ages and Ages ago I made blog posts about Tales from the Crypt Presents Fat Tuesday AKA Dead Easy and a few years ago I turned these into a...