Monday 2 October 2017

Mindfullness One: Talking about my own experiances with mental health issues.

I feel it is very important for people to talk about there mental health about how they feel about the problems they have had and how they have dealt with these. Now I feel first of all it is important to say that everyone has mental health and that mental health and mental illness are not the same thing. I dont want to go to heavily into the academic I want to try to keep this nice and simple so that anyone can understand. Often when you hear the term Mental Illness your brain will think of certain things and in some cases it will turn to cliches of people being mad and hearing voices or shouting at people who are not there. When it comes to Mental Illness there is a stigma attached to it people are seen as simply being mad instead of being seen as people who need help. 

We all have mental health at all stages of our lives the real question is how good or bad this health is. You see mental health is not a case of crazy or normal its a spectrum and you can sit anywhere on it from feeling amazingly healthy in yourself in your mind, to feeling a little bit down and maybe anxious to more extreme cases such as being incredibly depressed to possibly struggling to maintain a grip on reality. During an average persons life they will move up and down this scale, when times are good they could be described as mentally healthy but at other times something may happen which causes them to be ill, to display a mental illness. When someone displays signs of mental illness they are not crazy they are vulnerable and in need of help. A lot of people wont seek help because either they don't know that it exists or they are so scared of being called crazy and of facing stigma either now or in the future because they admitted that they were struggling that it just doesn't seem worth asking for help. When someone does ask for help its not always that easy to get it, there is the fact you need to go and convince someone that there is an issue and often this issue needs to be assigned a label and then you have to go on a waiting list to be seen for it, because of the stigma attached to asking for help people will often wait till they are near boiling point before asking for help so then being met with a long wait after this can further add to the problems.

I know that my mental health has taken swerves up and down over the years from early bits of depression, anxiety and panic attacks to a latter breakdown and case of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I figure that I need to tell my tale so that it might help other people to look at there own mental health, to try and manage it and to seek help if they need it. So many people have gone through these kind of struggles and if more people would stand up admit it and be counted then it would feel a lot more like a natural part of life, a part we can talk about and discuss free from stigma. I want to talk about my issues today to try and help others either not face them tomorrow or at the very least face them knowing that there not the first one to feel this way, that they are not alone and that they are not weak or mad.

I would blame my first stumbles upon bullying and ignorance about some of the disorders I suffer from such as Epilepsy and Dyslexia, ignorance on both my behalf and other peoples ignorance. School was tough for me with constant snide comments and even teachers being less than supportive and I didn't know how to deal with a lot of this I developed a somewhat hostile outer shell one which claimed that it did not care and one which pushed me to become a bit of a mix between a class clown and someone who had just lost hope. I hated myself and looked down on myself on an almost daily basis but I simultaneously smiled and tried to bring joy to others either through being a clown or by standing up for them. I would often get in trouble for sticking up for people in the face of authority and it was simply because although I couldn't see anything worthwhile in myself I always saw the best in others and couldn't stand to see people try to put them down or to try and make them feel bad about themselves. 

I soon found that video games were a bit of a coping mechanism for me, when times got tough I could just retreat to my room and play some games. My home life was great I had a very supportive family and I felt totally safe when inside the walls of my home. It was during my GCSE's that I found video gaming first really save me. I had zero confidence about my GCSE's I was certain I would fail them, a lot of teachers had led me to believe I would fail them and yet I tried really hard to study. I didn't have any ambition to go to college or university but I just wanted to come out with half decent grades, ones I could read without feeling too ashamed of myself, ones I could actually find work with. The issue was the more I tried to study the more stressed I got, it got to the point where I was wasting more time blankly panicing in front of my notes than I was studying this is when I made a deal with myself. The deal was this if I could study for a set amount of time then as a reward I would allow myself to play Mario Kart. It worked it got me studying and although I didn't get the best grades it did allow me to get 4 C's which was a lot more than was expected of me. I have been making myself deals like this ever since deals which have helped me to try and manage stress and anxiety. This is what is called a coping stratergy, its a plan for how to keep yourself calm, how to keep going and how to cope with the situations your dealt.

I will bring this topic up again soon because I have a lot to say about it but for now I just want to push the fact that if your struggling you are not alone, lots of other people will be in or have been in the same position. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tales from the Crypt DEAD EASY aka Fat Tuesday the lost film

Ages and Ages ago I made blog posts about Tales from the Crypt Presents Fat Tuesday AKA Dead Easy and a few years ago I turned these into a...