Thursday 29 December 2016

RIP Carrie Fisher

Now I dont think I have talked about StarWars that much on this blog, yes I touched on the Peter Cushing related controversy about a week ago but I dont go on and on about my love for StarWars. Most people proberbly wont know that before I started collecting Video Games I was a pretty Hardcore StarWars collecter and the figure that started it all was the Leia/Boushh bounty hunter figure. I had seen the films multiple times, I had of course seen the figures but there I was on a Market when I saw someone selling some figures and I had to have the Boushh one and it all just spiraled from there. So lets just say that StarWars and its stars have always meant a lot to me. So I was greatly sad when I found out that actress Carrie Fisher had passed away. I was sat at my girlfriends house watching a Mis Marple adventure on the TV and decided I would check the news, no idea why but thats when I was hit with the news of yet another celebrity death and it might sound sad when I have never met her but I couldnt help but shed a tear over her death.

Carrie Frances Fisher has passed away at the age of 60, she passed on the 27TH of December four days after having a heart attack during an airplane flight. Now to most people she will be rememberd simply as the actress behind Princess Leia, they will think of her in her metal bikini in Return of the Jedi or remember trivia like how she had her breasts taped down in the original Star Wars but she was so much more than this. She was  an actress, a writer, a producer, and a humorist. She was the daughter of singer Eddie Fisher and actress Debbie Reynolds (she has also passed away a day or so after Carrie herself unfortunalty).

Fisher may have been well known for playing Princess Leia in the Star Wars film series. but she was also in Shampoo , The Blues Brothers, Hannah and Her Sisters , The 'Burbs, Drop Dead Fred and When Harry Met Sally and other films. She also wrote several semi-autobiographical novels, including Postcards from the Edge,  an autobiographical one-woman play, and a non-fiction book, Wishful Drinking. I have to admit although I have seen most of the films with her in I havent touched a single one of her books but I have heard nothing but praise when it comes to them, I guess this is something I will need to change.

In later years, she has earned praise for speaking publicly about her experiences with bipolar disorder and drug addiction. This is something which I really respect her for, it can be tough to talk about mental health issues but its something that needs to be done in order for people to learn about them, and what its like to live with one.

The last most people will have seen of her is reprising her role as Leia in StarWars the Force Awakens and I am glad that it has been confirmed that she had already filmed all of her scenes for the upcoming untitled Star Wars Episode VIII and that Disney have already said that they will think of a fitting way to explain the characters absense in the film that follows that. I highly hope that they dedicate the next film to her.

All I can say is that her passing has sadend me for she was the definitive princess of my youth, May the Force be with you always Carrie Fisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tales from the Crypt DEAD EASY aka Fat Tuesday the lost film

Ages and Ages ago I made blog posts about Tales from the Crypt Presents Fat Tuesday AKA Dead Easy and a few years ago I turned these into a...