Friday 4 August 2017

Parasite Random Horror Review

 Ok so not long ago when I was talking about the death of my childhood video rental shop I talked about a film watching game, for those who havent read it I was basically going on about using youtube to find random old horror films and just basically jumping in to them with very little knoweldge in order to try and find classics you didnt know existed. Well I recently grabbed the popcorn my carbinated softdrink of choice and did just this. I found a person who had posted a whole bunch of full horror movies and flicked my way through them starting on a random one. The film was called Parasite.



Now when I started watching it I felt that bits of it were familiar like I had watched it before but in total honesty I have no idea if I had or not which is not surpising when I realise how many films I have watched and especially how many horror movies. I do certainly know that I cant tell you a story about when I first saw this film as a youngster Sometimes when I show someone one of my favourate old films they watch them and dont seem to see what I see in them they will ask if maybe my views are somehow skewerd because of my affection for the films. I do know that sometimes a film fans affection for a particular picture can tottaly defie all logic, they can just feel a certain love for a film but yet not be able to offer any kind of real rational explanation why. I hold a lot of love for 80's horror films but maybe I just see them through rose tinted specs, the best way to do this is to look at films from the 80's that I dont have this kind of connection to films like Parasite that I dont have some old fashioned tale of my youth which I can tell focused around them.

So first I want to say sorry if some of this review is a little spoiler based but its just one of those films where to talk about it you need to talk about particular parts of it. You see the film has a plot but its not exactly the most indepth plot in fact is not exactly that great it can be summed up as basically its a post apocolyptic future and a goverment agency has tried to make creatures presumably for war purposes the lead scientist decides that he needs to destroy these creatures but he actually gets infected by one of them so he takes the other last remaining one and goes on the run the idea being if he can study the creature and learn its weaknesses he can remove the one from inside of him. The creature he has to study however gets loose. So basically it is a sci fi horror film now there are a lot of good parts to this film but it is very slow paced, some of the acting is a little akward so its by no means a perfect film if I ended this review here it would proberbly make the film sound awful so I am going to go on to list some of the cool stuff which is in this film if you dont want the film spoiling for you then ignore the next paragraph.

So early on you get to see a lead pipe rammed into in a guy's abdomen and then you get to see the blood pouring out the pipe. Then there is a scene where the parasite attacks and kills a lady by dropping from the ceiling onto her. Add on to this the creature bursting out of someones head, the effects in the film look pretty great for the time and there are some fantastic set pieces and they really are what make the film but you also get the feeling that there was so much more potential here. I didnt realise it while watching this film but its a Charles Band Production yes the Charles Band responsible for the Puppet Master films seeing as Puppet Master got so many sequels its almost a shame that this film didnt get one. The films lead actor is not the best but there is a goverment agent chasing him who is a pretty darn intemedating and cool baddy to the degree that youd rather spend more time with him, in fact I found it kind of hard not to root for the villian in this case.

So how would I rate this film? Well and bear in mind I am aiming this score at fans of the genre if you usuallyu like this kind of thing then I would give the film a 7 out of 10, I think its well worth a watch but its not an all time classic or anything, however does it make me think my love of 80's horror is misplaced? Not at all everything I like about this film is pretty much pure 80's goodness, its not the best example of the decade or genra but randomly picking it and watching it certainly brought back those good old VHS rental feelings from my childhood

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tales from the Crypt DEAD EASY aka Fat Tuesday the lost film

Ages and Ages ago I made blog posts about Tales from the Crypt Presents Fat Tuesday AKA Dead Easy and a few years ago I turned these into a...