Tuesday 1 August 2017

Sometimes its not the game its the point in your life at which you play it

It might sound strange but it can be hard to really find a game which grabs your attention. You look at all of the upcoming games and you think you want something, you read in magazines or on websites about a game, you see announcements and trailers and you begin to feel a desire to grab this or that title it might be the game you want but is it the game that you need?

I can name quiet a few games that I was desperately excited about but after minor flirtations with them I have hardly touched them, I got the last Fire Emblem on day of release and stopped bothering with it after about 5 hours, I got Zelda Breath of the Wild and probably only put 10 hours in to that, I invested a similar amount of time into Mass Effect Andromeda yet all of these games I was massively excited about. Yet there are games I have gotten in sales or simply found for prices I couldn't resist that I haven't even given a moments thought to before I picked it up or downloaded it. I have left all of these games unfinished and yet I have finished Steam World Heist and Weapon Shop de Omasse, I have also tried and greatly enjoyed both Battlefield one and 7 days to Die. I guess some of this is because you get used to the games you like and at first when you play something which is kind of new but also sort of the same you enjoy it. You think for example that you simply wont ever be able to get enough Fire Emblem or Zelda but then you hit the same kind of game one too many times and what once was new and exciting is now a lot more predictable. Maybe part of the problem is not that your looking to the latest Zelda wanting it to provide exactly what the last one did your looking to it to kind of try to supply the same feeling the last one did which is one of excitement and surprise but its not always the game alone that does this its who you are at the time and the things you experienced before it and how you were feeling away from the console.

When I take 7 Days to Die and look at it its a game about Zombies yes, but its more than that its a game in which your trying to survive and often your doing this by ending up in structures and your trying to make them as safe and well sealed as possible while also worrying about supplied and what will happen if the undead get inside. Think of it as a more adult Minecraft with more options more tension and more gore and your on the right kind of lines. I played this game the night after I had watched Night of the Living Dead, which I had watched because I had realised that George Romero passed earlier this year, I realised he had passed and we would never get another zombie film from him so I wanted to watch one of the ones he had given us and why not the first one. This film put me in the mood for Zombie related fun, I watched it with my daughter and we discussed what we would do in that situation how we would secure the doors would we go upstairs or downstairs or in the basement and then we put this to practise in 7 Days To Die. I think maybe I enjoyed this more than the things I had waited for because I played it with my daughter or maybe because I was suddenly living this virtual life inside what felt like a Romero film or maybe just because I haven't played anything else quite like it one thing I do know though is that I am going to find myself returning to it much sooner than a lot of titles I spent a lot more money on. Still it makes me wish I knew how to buy the games I need and not the ones I simply want.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tales from the Crypt DEAD EASY aka Fat Tuesday the lost film

Ages and Ages ago I made blog posts about Tales from the Crypt Presents Fat Tuesday AKA Dead Easy and a few years ago I turned these into a...